of Jarman Printing
year was 1906 when John L. Jarman announced the opening of
a new “Printing Establishment.” As his announcement
read, “with modern equipment, he shall be pleased to
demonstrate to you his ability as a Commercial Printer.”
His modern equipment originally consisted of one small hand
press and a small amount of hand set implements used for printing.
His “ability as a Commercial Printer” consisted
mostly of a great amount of ambition and “guts.”
The location of his establishment as stated in his announcement
was the First National Bank Block, Public Square. Some years
later, as he began to grow, he moved to the second floor at
240 East Main Street above the City Loan and Nobil’s
Shoe Store. This building burned down in 1965 and was where
the present parking area of Citizens Banking Company is off
of Main Street.
the 1920’s Mr. Jarman started the “Recreational
News,” a weekly Alliance newspaper with subscription
price of $1.50 per year. He was later bought out by The Alliance
Review. This paper was published for several years and copies
can be found in the Rodman Public Library.
1954 Mr. Jarman moved into his new quarters at the corner
of High Street and Union Avenue, the present location.
main purpose of moving into the new building was to entice
his son, Jack, to be interested in the business to take over.
But Jack had “gone west” to a successful life
and had no desire to return and operate his father’s
the fall of 1964, Mr. Jarman died. Elvin Wilson and Phil Singer
purchased the Jarman Printing Company from the Jarman Estate
in January of 1965. Two years later, Mr. Wilson and his wife,
Fern, bought out Mr. Singer, and the two operated the business
until February of 1986 when they retired.
business was purchased in 1986 by the employees of the firm,
headed by Betty Middleton. All shares in the company were
owned by Mrs. Middleton and the Employee Stock Ownership Trust.
The Employee Stock Ownership Plan was a unique opportunity
for Jarman employees which gave each employee a stake in the
September of 1990, Mrs. Middleton sold her stock to her son,
September of 1990 to October 14, 2009 Dan Middleton owned
and operated The J.L. Jarman Printing Company. When ready
to retire, Randal and Krista Jarvis bought
J.L. Jarman from Dan on October 14, 2009. Under new management,
the J.L. was dropped and called Jarman Printing, LLC.
The Jarvis’ are the 5th owners of the printing company,
and eager to grow and continue to offer the high quality,
on time deliveries Jarman Printing is known for and takes